Friday, June 8, 2012

The Planting of the Placentas

As some of you may know, I have been carting Owen's placenta around the country for more than five years now.  It has moved (on ice) four times - from Virginia to Tennessee, Tennessee to Pennsylvania, across town in Lancaster, and finally back to Tennessee.  You see, I really wanted to plant Owen's placenta under a tree for him, and we never really had anywhere to do it.  
Owen and Abram picked out a Stayman Winesap apple tree for me for Mother's Day, and I believe it was Owen who suggested we finally plant his placenta. 
We inspected it a bit before 
 placing it in the hole that Abram dug.
 Then we put our tree in on top.

 Caedmon's placenta took a very different path.  My midwife, Karen encapsulated it for me.  I had asked that she save a small piece for me to plant with a tree for Caedmon, but alas, she forgot.  I am very glad that I was able to benefit from taking the encapsulated placenta pills for a couple of weeks after Caedmon's birth and am saving the rest in case I have need of them as I go into menopause.
When we found fruit trees on sale a Lowe's last week, we purchased a peach tree and brought it home to plant with Caedmon's placenta.  I counted out 13 of them - for his birthday
 and placed them in a hole about 20 feet from Owen's tree.
 And now, both our boys' placentas are planted safely under trees side by side in our yard.  May we never move - 'cause I just might have to dig up those trees and take them with me.


1 comment:

Mandy said...

Beautiful! I feel inspired to finally plant Ronin's!