Friday, July 17, 2009

Chicken and Black Bean Salad

Yup, another one. Some of you may have Tracy's rendition of this one. I really like it.
This is a very hearty meal but not overfilling, IMO - maybe a good one to try for all those pregnant ladies I know out there. I used NutritionData.com to analyze this recipe, and 1/4 of the recipe will provide about: 14 g protein, 48% (RDA) of vit C, 23% vit E, 191% vit K (as K1), 22% thiamin, 12% each riboflavin and niacin, 21% vit B6, 45% folate, and 9% calcium.

Chicken and Black Bean Salad
1.5 lb chicken
chili powder
oil for cooking

2 c. cooked black beans
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced (I like to use a mandolin slicer and make them very thin.)
1/2c. fresh cilantro leaves
juice from 2 large limes
1 t. salt
3/8c. olive oil

8c. lettuce

Sprinkle chicken liberally with chili powder, and pan fry in oil until done through. Cut into bite sized pieces. Mix veggies, cilantro, salt, lime juice, and olive oil. Tear about 2 c. lettuce for each person. Spoon chicken over lettuce and mixed veggies and dressing over all. Serve.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder of a great recipe! I was wondering what sort of salads to make this week. We've been eating as much Salad Nicoise as I dare since it contains tuna. Sometimes I just leave out the tuna and add extra anchovies. I'll make this tomorrow night and maybe add some avacado.

Tracy

Possum said...

Hope you enjoy it. We made it twice last week. Welcome back from vacation.
Melinda

Anonymous said...

We returned with Ben's Great Grandmother's rocking chair. It's pretty comfy. Unfortunately, HD likes to sit under it. I guess she'll learn to tuck her tail.

Tracy