Monday, September 28, 2009

Nifty Thrifty

So what have we done to be thrifty in the last week?

  • shopped at the central market (Friday)
  • bargained for stock bones at said market (They used to sell a big ol' box of them for $5. I asked if they had any bulk ones and confirmed that they sold them by the box. The guy said yes but they only had part of a box. I asked again, so it is still buy the bag then. Yes. Then he proceeds to weigh them and charge me $1/lb for them. I say that I thought they were not by the lb., and he shows me the ones in the case and tells me they took out part of the bones (the nicer ones - shank bones) and vacuum packed them and are selling them for $1/lb. So, he wants to sell me a big hunk of frozen-together picked, over bones, and I say no thanks, I used to get twice that much for $5. He goes down from $18 to $12, and I say no thanks again. Finally, he asks how much I will give for these bones, and I tell him $5. He was $5 richer for selling me those picked over bones.)
  • used a $3 off a $30 order at the big box grocery store (Monday)
  • called the insurance company to get another explanation of benefits sent that seemed to have been lost in the mail - Next I can send that off for reimbursement of the amount that was applied to our deductible. (today)
  • called a company that didn't refund me shipping when they sent me a pair of shoes that were 2 different sizes (Friday)
  • returned our library books on time (today)
  • spent part of the morning at the library (today)
  • checked out more books for Owen - and a video (today)
  • went to a free petting farm with Owen and Abram (Saturday)
  • shopped at two front yard farm stands and got red peppers ($0.35 each), honey, apples ($7/half bushel), and some gourds (also $0.35 each) for the table (Saturday)
  • chopped and froze peppers and dried some of the apples (Saturday)
  • found a 100% wool sweater for me at Goodwill for $5 (today)
  • turned-off AC/heat and opened/closed windows as needed (all of September)
  • made felt food for a birthday present - and some extra sushi for a special surprise (Monday)
  • worked on two hand-made baby gifts (ongoing)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a large consignment sale in Westminster, MD next weekend if you, or any of your readers, are interested. It's about 1.5 hrs from Lancaster...maybe 2 hrs.

http://www.wee-cyclemart.com/shoppersWestminster.html

-Tracy

Possum said...

Cool. Are you going to to look at baby stuff?
We went to SA 50% off Wednesday today and got a ruffly white girl's t-shirt, a pair of red and white stripd PJ pants and a black wool skirt to make a pirate costume for $5. Earlier we returned some wild caught "fresh" clams that we got at the grocery store yesterday, and the clerk gave us $11.98 back instead of $5.99 because I told her I was going to have them for dinner last night until I opened the wrapping. They looked just fine - no open ones - but boy did they smell bad. So, I had a no spend day essentially.

Tracy said...

I'm planning on going to the event in Ann Arundel (closer to us) on Oct 22. But it may depend on when my parents visit. I'm not sure if Julia will want to go, but I'm pretty sure my dad will not.
:)