Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Wordsmith Wednesday: Nutrition and Physical Degeneration

My friend Kelly and John Coles (of illegal-raw-goat-cheese-at-the-C'ville-farmer's-market fame) introduced me to Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects (Weston A. Price, MS., D.D.S., F.A.G.D., 1939) about five years ago, and since reading it, I have referred to it frequently. It is worth getting for the pictures alone. Whenever I pull it off the shelf, I get lost for a while examining the photos.
Weston Price was a dentist who in the 1920s and 30s went around the world searching for healthy people. His main measure of overall health was dental health including the number of teeth with caries per person and jaw/palate/facial development. He studied isolated populations of Swiss, Gaelic, Inuit and other Native Americans, Melanesians, Polynesians, Africans, Australian Aborigines, Torres Strait Islanders, New Zealand Maori, and native Peruvians eating traditional diets and compared them to genetically similar populations who were eating modern diets. Although their diets varied greatly, he found that the isolated peoples eating traditional diets were in good health and had very low incidences of caries. They also had wide palates that appropriately accommodated all of their 32 adult teeth (no need for braces or removal of wisdom teeth or as in my case 4 other teeth that were likely not going to fit in there properly. Incidentally, he noted that even when he had to clear a layer of slime off of the isolated people's teeth, they were generally healthy and white beneath this layer; these people were not brushing their teeth.) The modernized counterparts who ate many processed foods had rampant tooth decay, poorly formed dental arches, narrowed nostrils, difficulty birthing, diseases such as TB, and generally poorer health.
All of the healthy populations he found got much of their nutrition from animal foods. He had samples of the foods tested for various nutrients and found that the varying traditional diets were all very high in vitamins A and D. He also postulated that another vitamin which he called activator X (what we now call vitamin K2) was important for the use of the other fat soluble vitamins. He noted that people eating sea food were particularly healthy: "During these investigations of primitive races, I have been impressed with the superior quality of the human stock developed by Nature wherever a liberal source of sea foods existed."
He was acutely aware of the malnourishment of dental patients in his care in the US and conducted trials with poor populations of children - feeding them one meal a day (in addition to what they ate at home) of stew, whole grain bread (made from freshly ground wheat which is high in phytase to break down phytates which block mineral absorption), butter, milk, cod liver oil, and high vitamin butter oil. He found that their dental carries healed and that often their academics and conduct improved. One good meal a day was enough to make a difference!
Here are some of the fascinating photos:

The Swiss

FIG. 3. Normal design of face and dental arches when adequate nutrition is provided for both the parents and the children.Note the well developed nostrils.

Fig. 4. In the modernized districts of Switzerland tooth decay is rampant. The girl, upper left, is sixteen and the one to the right is younger. They use white bread and sweets liberally. The two children below have very badly formed dental arches with crowding of the teeth. this deformity is not due to heredity.

Wakamba Africans

FIG. 41. The development of the faces and dental arches in many African tribes is superb. The girl at the upper right is wearing several earrings in the lobe of each ear. The Wakamba tribe points the teeth as shown below. This does not cause tooth decay while they live on their native food.

FIG. 44. Wherever the Africans have aidopted the foods of modern commerce, dental caries was active, thus destroying large numbers of the teeth and causing great suffering. The cases shown here are typical of workers on plantations which largely use imported foods.

The entire book can be read here, but in my opinion, this one is worth buying. The Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation continues to keep it in print. I am amazed at the extent of Price's research, and hope that we will realize the wisdom of traditional diets sooner rather than later. I think that change is coming. I think people really are starting to get that it matters what you eat, but I wonder if we can learn quickly enough.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy to see how excited you are about the discovery of good nutrition in your life Melinda. It is the difference between life and death. I have always assumed that people in the US have been ruined forever by the "save a dollar mentality", and I am glad to see that you are rebelling against it. I have been trying to feed my family well since I made a family on my own. Growing up in Bulgaria I have always had good food( nothing fancy, just simple common food like meat and veggies, bread, wine, fetta. We raised most of our food which made me extremely dissatisfied with the food here. The food in the stores also was pretty decent, but much more expensive than the food in the USA. Every time I had shared my opinion about food with anyone here, I was made to feel like a food snob, so I quit shearing it. The bigest problem I have is with the peer pressure society exerts on my children. The sugar, the fake drinks, the fried foods, (what the @#%& is flavored water)in schools, birthday parties and any other events is a monsterous task to fight against. I am still to figure out how to cope with that one without making my kids feel weird and feeling weird myself. I would love tips on that!
Rossitsa

Possum said...

Rossitsa,
I think people have really strong emotional connections to food (and even more powerful physical addictions to some foods - namely sugar). Choosing good, whole foods for your own family somehow comes off as an affront to people who make different choices. Often when people find out about our food choices, they commend about the expense and how they would eat differently if they had more money. The thing is, we started our journey to eating better back when Abram was a grad student. Until Abram finished grad school, our income was always modest, and at times, much below modest. We just chose to spend out money in a certain way. Sometimes I try to educate people who make these comments on the realities of economic choice, but most of the time I secretly roll my eyes and laugh to myself that if they only knew the half of our financial situation, they wouldn't presume that we are rolling in the dough and can't find a better way to get rid of excess cash besides buying good food.
I imagine it is even more difficult to buck the system when you are coming from the outside. Kudos to you for buying at the farmers' market and fermenting your own foods at home!
We are just getting to the point where Owen really notices what other people are eating. We generally take our food wherever we go, and after a birthday party this summer where I had taken food for Owen (that was as like the other food as I could have made it, mind you) he told me that he didn't have cake. I asked him how he felt when he didn't have cake, and he told me it made him feel sad. It just broke my heart. So, the next birthday party we attended, we took along a piece of home made cake that was okay for him (though definitely a compromise food). He seemed pleased. With an allergy, it's easier than if you just decide that your kids don't need crap. People generally accept allergies. Barring any allergies, I think the occasional birthday party food isn't going to do great harm, but to some people "occasional" sweets happen once a week or more. I don't really have any good answers. It's hard. Having friends and being accepted are important. Eating good foods is important too. What do you do when these are in conflict?

Anonymous said...

Well,I guess we just have to be weird! It is eazy for me but it kills me when my children have to make that choice, they are not strong enough yet. What do you do when food and friends are in conflict? I wish I knew. Be weird... look for weird friends... Two of my best friend think I am a food snob and its eazy for me becouse my husband makes good money. We have a moderate income and three children. We had a modest income whille I was in school and still cooked the same way. We have been through difficult times whille I was in school and I completely understand what you mean about your choices on what to spend your money on. People come from different backgrounds, their thinking modes are different. It isn't eazy to erase years of upbringing in order to begin to even see each other's points of view sometimes. I feel lucky to have spent the first 23 years of my life in a different culture and to have moved here young enough to be able to learn and absorb ideas from this culture as well. Some times its great, sometimes it brings me to tears.
Rossitsa