Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wordsmith Wednesday: Little House in the Big Woods



This week Owen and I have been reading Little House In the Big Woods (Laura Ingalls Wilder). It's one of my favorite books from when I was a little girl, and I am pleased that he is ready to listen to chapter books. (Now that we are in the pooping stage of potty learning, we can spend quite a bit of time reading in one sitting!) We have read about half of it in the last four days, and he has brought it to me to read a couple of times on his own. We are both enjoying Laura's recollection of butchering a hog, smoking vension, storing pumpkins and onions and herbs in the attic, making butter with Ma, watching Pa clean his gun and traps and play the fiddle, making maple syrup, and living in the big woods of Wisconsin. I think it helps Owen to have the occasional illustration (by Garth Williams) since this is his first chapter book. He is surprisingly interested in the black and white pictures and wants to examine them closely and talk about them.
If it's been a while since you've read this one, I'd highly recommend reading it to yourself or a little one in you life.

6 comments:

Kelly Elmore said...

This is one of my all-time favorites. I read it out loud to Livy and Aaron around the fire last winter (and Farmer Boy too). We all loved it! Livy's favorite was when Grandpa got chased by the panther.

Possum said...

Yes, it has made my short list of re-reads. When I was little, I wasn't into Farmer Boy, but I LOVE it now - all that wonderful food!
Melinda

Jessica Tuggle said...

Do you have the rest of the series by any chance?

Possum said...

Yes, indeed! I think we have them all. (Look for them in later Wordsmith Wednesdays!) Do you have them? Do you re-read them periodically too?
Melinda

Jessie said...

I have them but I haven't read them in a long time. They are on Jackson's bookshelf waiting to be read...

Possum said...

Glad to hear it, Jessie.
M