Saturday, October 31, 2009

Thrifted Pirate Costume

Owen's Halloween costume was all home made this year.
We found a black wool skirt, a ruffly white t-shirt, and a pair of red and white stripped PJ pants at the Salvation Army on 1/2 off Wednesday a few weeks back. We spent a total of $5.

I took apart the black wool skirt and felted to make a hat based on this one.
I actually ended up making two hats. I made the first one right away and couldn't find it anywhere yesterday, so I spent nap time making another with the extra fabric! I hope the first one will still turn up. They can be used for play or for real, warm, winter hats.
I added a bit of lace to the ruffly shirt,

made an eye patch with a bit of the black felt and some elastic, and cut the bottoms of a pair of shorts that were wearing thin in the back.
Abram made a number of cardboard swords (until Owen agreed that one was right) and fashioned a hook from a coat hanger and an odd sock. Owen got to help with the process, and we all had a good time and spent just $5!

No comments: