Sunday, December 12, 2010

Microscope

Today Owen opened his Christmas present from Grandma Sharon early. As it was delicate and we will be traveling with limited space, she had it sent here. It magnifies to 40x, 100x, and 400x and came with a few prepared slides and some blanks to do your own.

We looked at prepared salt crystals, mouth cells, and paramecia and our own blood (Abram's), hair (Owen's, mine, and cat's), breast milk, goat milk, onion skin, paper fibers, and a penny. Owen's interest in microscopes came while reading a book about blood this summer. He's been talking about needing a microscope (sometimes called a telescope) since then. He was keen to get some blood and to see the red blood cells, and Abram was our willing volunteer.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Very cool!!!

I'd post more, but Martin is waking up.

KiwiObserver said...

GREAT present! I will try to send some rock slides with little fossils in them sometime. I don't work on these rocks, but I'm sure someone has some old ones floating around the department. Microscopes with cross polarized light are especially cool to use on rocks.

Tracy said...

Re: KiwiObserver
I wonder if you can use polarized lenses from sunglasses to get the same effect as the fancy microscopes. I love looking at crystals with polarized light microscopes.


I remember looking at a mosquito larva (is that the singular, Abram?) under a microscope when I was about 5 yo. I associate that memory with the movie Aliens now. It was super cool and super scary all at the same time. You could see the heart beating and I screamed every time it twitched.

I wonder how other fibers compare to the hair. Cotton, wools, and synthetic fibers might be interesting to compare. (might not)

Oooohhhh, you could get some iodine to stain the onion, blood, and cheek cells with. That should be interesting.

I want a microscope for Christmas!!! Grandma Sharon is the coolest!