Monday, October 29, 2012

It Takes A Village: GrandParents

Being so close to family is really, really wonderful.  We have enjoyed being close enough to go the Ring family dinner nights every week and to visit my parents, brothers, and family frequently this last year.  The last two weekends we have been especially grateful for our parents (and the boys, their grandparents).  

Last week, Grandma Sharon came up and looked after Owen and Caedmon while Abram and I slaughtered and processed another 24 chickens for the freezer.  I haven't a single picture as I was elbow deep an offal and feathers.  You needn't imagine Abram's and my work.  

Sharon kept the boys busy for hours and hours with masks to color, temporary tattoos, and books.    We couldn't have gotten it done without her help.  She went home very tired I am sure.    

This weekend, Anne and Granddaddy arrived with what I believe to be a zillion boxes of tomatoes from Chandler Mountain and boxes of quart jars.  Although we had intended to go out to Cannonsburgh Village for a picnic and to see demonstrations of metal working, quilting, and other "old timey" activities, the weather was wet and cold, and we stayed in and did our own homesteading weekend.  

Saturday, we canned 73 quarts of tomatoes.  (We also dried some, and there are more drying and to be dried as I write.)  Again, I was elbow deep in tomatoes, so no pictures of the event - just the stack of boxes later.  
 Sunday, we sorted the feathers and down that I saved from the chickens.  It took the better part of the day,
 many hands,
and some sustenance to keep us going, but
 from the feathers of 24 chickens, we produced 1 pillow.*
 And then we sent them home, very very tired.  It's like a vacation to work on a dude ranch; we're going to start hosting weekend work stays on our farmette.  Please contact me for an application.  

Thank you to Grandma Sharon, Anne, and Graddaddy for getting us ready for a long cold winter with plenty of food in the freezer and in the basement!  Chicken cacciatore, anyone?


* I put the feathers into several pillow cases, tied them tighly with yarn and washed them in the washing machine.  Oops, one of the yarns slipped off, and Abram saved the day by unclogging the washing machine pump that was full of feathers.  I took those smelly, wet cases of feathers and put them each into another case and sewed them shut.  Then I washed them again several times in really hot water and dried them on hot.  We have a really nice pillow, but it was a serious booger to make - not sure I'm gonna do that again. I've checked "make a feather pillow" off my bucket list.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Melinda, We were connecting to our past. Growing up, we were around parents, uncles, aunts, grand parents and great grand parents that canned, dried, and froze food stuff. Often this was a group project as this past weekend with several generations worked together. We enjoyed every moment.

Love mom and dad