Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Wordsmith Wednesday: A House Is A House For Me

As you may very well know, I am re-reader.  I have a collection of favorite books, and I tend to go to them again and again.  Right now, Owen and I are reading one of my favorites for his first time and my zillionth, and I am loving it.  

By chance, however, quite a few new books have come to us lately.  Last week, an unexpected package arrived on our porch.  What a wonderful surprise it held - a gift from Shannon, A House Is A House For Me.  This book was new to me and the boys, and we sat down right away on the porch swing to check it out.    


It is rhymed and has a fun, catchy meter.  It also has really lovely and detailed illustrations.  It starts off listing homes for a variety of critters:
A hill is a house for an ant, an ant.
A hive is a house for a bee.

 but gets progressively more far-fetched and silly:
A box is a home for a teabag.
A teapot's a house for some tea.  
If you pour me a cup and I drink it all up, 
Then the teahouse will turn into me!
Owen's favorite page was the tea page with illustrations of the Mad Hatter's tea party with Alice, the March Hare, and the Dormouse.  


I think this is going to be one of our favorites - catchy and silly with illustrations that you can study and see new things every time you look.


1 comment:

Shannon said...

Melinda, I'm so glad you guys are enjoying the book!