Saturday, December 8, 2012

Lovely Leaf Lard

Lovely leaf lard from local pastured pigs and rendered by me!  At our house, lard is a health food.  Really!  Lard is not the same as Crisco which is definitely NOT a health food, and not all pig fat is the same.  

I rendered it by placing the fat into a chicken roaster (or other deep oven-safe dish).  Then I cooked it on 250 F, periodically dipping and straining liquid fat into jars until no more fat remained (about 4 or 5 hours for 6-8lbs).  You can use the cracklin's, but funny enough, I'm not a cracklin's fan, so ours went to the chickens who LOVED them.  The lard will stay good indefinitely in the fridge.

What is your unexpected health food?

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

next time i'll take the cracklings - they make goooooood cornbbread !

Possum said...

Okay, I'll save them for you :o).