Friday, November 20, 2009

Friday - Market Day

After an adventure getting three cartloads of toys up two stories in a passenger elevator at Tot Spot since the freight elevator wouldn't work (and an hour of playing with those fun things once they made it to the gym), Owen and I headed to the Central Market to pick up a few things. Although the tomatoes are mostly gone and there are only a few lonely squash, fall is a great time to shop at the market for locally grown foods. Here's Owen with our take from today:
turnips (Owen is holding a fine example)
Stayman apples
ground beef
pork breakfast sausage
beef roast
lettuce
chestnuts
walnuts (from a grandma's yard and tediously picked out by her and sold for $2.50/ half pound)
thyme (dried)
herbal tea
goat feta
goat colby
goat cheddar with chives and garlic
celery

All the items except the thyme and tea were grown/raised locally. From these items, I will make (among other things) a beef stew (with the roast and thyme), Waldorf salad (with apples, celery, and walnuts), breakfast (from the sausage along with some local eggs), a snack (of roasted chestnuts - peel your own or let mama peel your own), and a gift (the tea).

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I go back to these recipes all the time, so thanks for posting. I think I should just print them out and put them in our cookbook.

Today I made the waldorf salad and added some chicken breast leftover from a roast. I make the beef stew pretty often as well.

I hope you're doing well with packing and travelling.

Possum said...

I'm so glad that you are using them! I also look up recipes on my blog instead of using written copies. I'm in the throes of packing right now - boxes o' fun!
M