Friday, October 22, 2010

Belly and Face Painting

We watched part of the movie, Babies, at our Birthing Again (Birthing From Within) class. After seeing the Namibian mother crush and rub red-brown paint over her pregnant belly, we talked with Kerry, the teacher, about how much fun it would be for Owen to paint my belly. One rather unsuccessful attempt with henna later,

(above, a treasure map in henna)
I got face paint crayons which were much more fun and user-friendly.
Owen really enjoyed doing art on mama. Since the paints came on a card with Halloween ideas, he was inspired to make "a vampire" (actually looks to be Frankenstein's monster) on my belly. He, of course, doesn't know either one is scary. He asked me to do his face like the devil on the card.

We went out to play (in public) with his face showing and my belly covered.
When Daddy was finished with work, Owen somehow convinced him that he (Owen) should do his face like a devil too. I think he did a great job on both paintings! Like father, like son:

2 comments:

tracy said...

Martin and I watched Babies recently. It inspired me, too. Now I let him suck the marrow out of old bones laying around the back yard. ;P

I really do let him play around in the yard a lot more after watching the movie. I get lots of weeding done and he hasn't stuck his hand in a black widows lair yet. He is getting really good at crawling up and down the 3 steps in the back yard without my help.

Possum said...

I don't think those bones even still had marrow in them. They were pretty old and dry!
I do think kids need to feel safe in their environments and not have people freaking out any time they want to stick something in their mouths. They really do need space - glad to hear Martin is thriving in your new hippie/native/wild people life style!