Saturday, October 23, 2010

Yoga

It's been a while since I was able to do a yoga class, and as you may all have guessed, a home practice is out of the question with Owen as part of our household. Recently, Abram found a perfect class for me - a relaxation class on campus that doesn't conflict with his schedule.
Lately, on Fridays, I have been doing yoga while Owen and Abram have a lunch date. They've enjoyed Thai food from the market, Five Guys burgers and fries, and sushi while I have enjoyed PEACE and RELAXATION.
Sadly, I have no pictures, but I can assure you that I look graceful, coordinated, and beautiful throughout each and every class ;-). Actually, I probably look more like a yoga ball than a yogi, but I feel so nice that it doesn't really matter what I look like!
I'm pleased that it has worked out so nicely for Abram and Owen to have a special time while I do a bit of centering.

Yesterday, we got a flier about a children's yoga class in town, and Owen and I checked it out today. As the old class had just moved up, he was the only child (a good thing for his first day). He picked out a purple mat since there wasn't an orange one and worked on the floor with the instructor as she read Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? For each animal, they did a different pose. They also played a game of staying on the mat while moving wildly then freezing in a pose when the teacher said stop. Owen really enjoyed it, and we are planning to go back for more kids' yoga.

Afterwards, Owen got a fresh orange juice from the market (a rare treat), and we sat at a fountain and listened to some high school students drum.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Very cool! It sounds like a great activity for both you and Owen.

I was thinking about you today. Glad you posted.

Sometimes I do a couple of yoga poses around the house just to stretch out certain muscles. Martin has picked up on the down dog and he will do it too. He thinks it is funny, like pulling the cat's ears or dropping food on the floor.