Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Compost

Yup, you're seeing right; that's my compost - egg shells, lettuce scraps, cilantro stems, lemon peels . . . Why am I showing you my refuse?
I just can't stand to throw away such wonderful scraps. We composted when I was growing up, and I continued once I was running my own kitchen. We have moved so often, that I have rarely had much of a chance to reap my own compost harvest (since I do cold compost). When we had chickens in Virginia, many of our scraps went to them, and they rewarded us with wild chicken antics to laugh at and wonderful eggs to eat. Last year, I had a rather yucky mess trying to figure out more on a hot compost in a closed container. Um, not going there again any time soon.
Moving into an apartment with NO green space upped the challenge, but I just can't put my fruit and veggie scraps and eggs shells into the trash - what a waste. So, I asked two of our favorite farmers at the market if they would like them. Who could refuse mostly local and/or organic scraps? I already knew they used compost - that's one of the reasons we like them so much. I save the scraps in gallon-sized water jugs, take them with us when we go to market, and drop them off at the farmers' van on our way inside.
So, what are you doing with your compostables? Even if you don't want to compost yourself or, like me, can't, I'm sure there is someone who'd love to add your scraps to their heap. I had two friends offer to take it off my hands after I told them about my solution. Hmm. . . maybe I'll have to start a rotation of where I drop off my compost. Nah. This is just too easy for me; I think I'll stick with it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never thought of that. I'll ask my CSA lady if she wants them when they start up again in May.

tjt

Possum said...

I bet she'd love it!

Anonymous said...

NYTimes article on urban composting...
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/19/garden/19worms.html?_r=1

tjt

Anonymous said...

Somewhat off topic... but do you happen to have a great marble cake recipe? I want to make one for James' bday tomorrow, and I don't like the one I have in the Joy of Cooking. What do you think of this one I found http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5557/chocolate-marble-cake.

Thanks! Carolyn.

P.S. I really want chickens, but James says No.

Possum said...

I'm am the wrong person to ask about a cake! Even before we swore off wheat, I was not a baker; I was convinced there was a way to substitute soaked, whole wheat flour into any recipe that called for flour. Abram disagrees.
Just sneak the chickens in; James will never notice them ;-)

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha soaked wheat in a cake recipe! Maybe in a torte, but even that's a stretch. I ended up using the joy of cooking recipe, which seemed healthier, but certainly not by your measure. I might have to act unilaterally for chickens, but that rarely works in marriage. Have you thought to make the Italian cake Panforte- sub ground almonds for flour and it would be really nice.