Saturday, May 2, 2009

Asparagus Is In Season!

Yup, asparagus is really plentiful around here right now, and we are taking full advantage of the bounty. (I told Abram this week, that the first chance I get to plant asparagus, I'm doing it - even if it isn't a permanent move; it's something I've put off far too long! If we're going to be "there" a second season, I'm planting asparagus.) Back to the present: Yesterday, we got three bunches of tall, asparagus from the farm where we get eggs and dairy. Tonight we had it one of our favorite ways - steamed with balsamic vinaigrette. My friend Dianne taught me this one when she brought and shared a meal with me after Owen was born.
Asparagus With Balsamic Vinaigrette
asparagus
balsamic vinegar
olive oil
prepared mustard
salt and pepper

Wash asparagus and snap off tough ends (the best way to get all the good stuff with no stringy bits). Steam to desired tenderness. Chill in cold water. Chop into 1-2" lengths. Mix vinegar, olive oil (1:2 or 1:3 ratio) and a little mustard (1/2t. for 1/2c. dressing or so). Pour over cold asparagus. Toss, and salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy now or later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll use your recipe next weekend when I get our first delivery from the CSA for this season. They are also delivering a lot of rhubarb...any ideas on what to do with that. I've only ever had it in pie.

PS I've been doing some clothes acquiring myself lately.

-Tracy

Anonymous said...

Have you tried the purple asparagus? That's what I planted in our garden. DIVINE. It's really popular here along with purple carrots. I grow a lot of rhubarb, which is a veritable tonic. I like it stewed with apples and served with ice cream (or not). With apples, you only need to add a bit of sugar- maybe 1 Tbsp to a cup of rhubarb. For over-the-top tartness, try some stewed rhubarb with yoghurt and muesli.