Tuesday, May 26, 2009

May 25

goddess (Isis?) nursing
The Nile
Swiss Guard talking to a nun outside St. Peter's
fountain in Piazza di San Pietro

St. Gregory's 6th century libraryone of many public water fountains that run continuously
Owen at playground of Villa Caelio Monte


We spent this morning at the Vatican Museums and passed through the Sistene Chapel. Owen did really well riding in the carrier and looking with us. He, of course, requires a lot of engaging, but he really likes picking out animals or people on the objects. He was a bit confused by the
leaves covering many of the penises on these statues. He got a LONG nap in the
carrier on me before we had lunch.
Afterwards, we went around to Piazza di San Pietro where Owen played in the
fountains, and we all took a quick tour through the Basilica of St. Peter. Then we
headed back to the monastery to drop off our things and stretch our legs at a much
nicer park than the one from a few days ago up the hill a bit. On the way we learned
a bit more about the monastery and saw part of the library built between 535 and
536 by St. Gregory.
While Owen played in the sand and fought fires (one of his favorite pretend subjects
these days), Abram looked after him, and I picked up supper from a deli. The first
grocery store I tried to go into at 7:55 turned me away because they closed at 8. The
next one listed 8 as their closing time, but they were still gladly serving new
customers in the deli and greeting them as they entered the store at 8:20 when I left. I
clearly do not get it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the goddess nursing statue!! I am so wanting to do an art history course looking at depictions of motherhood through the ages. You are SOOO lucky to be such amazing art and architecture. Love, Carolyn

Anonymous said...

seeing such amazing art and architecture I meant to say. All I'm seeing is a very messy puppy.