Thursday, March 5, 2009

Fennel Soup

Okay, it doesn't look like much, but you get a picture anyway. It was really tasty. We have added another food - potatoes, and Owen and I seem to tolerate them just fine. This soup was especially satisfactory for someone who's been hankerin' for some creamy goodness. It would have been even better with some real cream, but for now, that creamy texture will tie me over. This is based on a recipe from Nourishing Traditions, but as you all know, I only take recipes as suggestions. Here's what I did:

Fennel Soup
1 bulb of fennel, washed and chopped
2 yellow onions, chopped
4 T. ghee (or butter)
1 t. fennel seeds
3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 quarts of stock
1/2 t. pepper
salt to taste

Bring to a boil and cook ~3o minutes until all vegetables are tender. Blend soup, and salt to taste. Serve hot. Makes ~5 servings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I highly recommend the same recipe, but with 1 or 2 leeks (white part only) instead of the fennel and onions. I like to fry with oil and a bit of butter or ghee if dairy is allowed. Carolyn

Possum said...

Sounds yummy. I'll give it a go.
Melinda