Monday, March 2, 2009

Pertendin'

Owen has been doing a lot of "pertendin'" lately. Friday I lost him for a few minutes and found him up on the bed in the spare room feeding a doll his snack of pears and talking to her about some very important matter. If rule #1 is Let sleeping babies sleep, then surely rule #2 is Don't disturb a content child. I checked back in a few minutes later, and Owen informed me that the doll had "poopie diapah, needs a fresh one." So, of course, I obliged him with a diaper cover and a clean, dry diaper of his own and helped get her suited appropriately. The diaper hadn't been on her 3 seconds before he announced that it was now wet. Playing along with the game, I took it off, pretended it was now a new fresh one, and put it back on.
Nope, that wouldn't do. She needed a real, fresh one. So off he ran and came back with another fresh one and a sposie too. We decided to use the cloth since sposies are only for night time around here. She had quite a few changes in the course of only 10 minutes, but the game finally wound itself out. Thank goodness; I can't keep up with that much laundry!

Saturday morning he had a good time making pea soup for the same doll and a purple bear in his kitchen using the 2" peas from a quiet block I made for Electra. After he was finished cooking it, we were all cautioned to let the soup cool because it was too hot to eat; it was "steamin'." The pears and the pea soup were the doll's introduction to solids, I was glad they seemed to agree with her as she is now wearing diapers that need changing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is a quiet block? I just got done reading a book about fostering creativity, and I am so fascinated by creative play in children- and also about how traditional schooling can smother this creativity in the interest of conformity. Anyway, can you please do a blog on sewing, and what to look for in a sewing machine. I am fed up with "made in China." Lots of love! Carolyn

Possum said...

Hey Carolyn! I'll get on that right away. Have you read any John Holt? He says a few downright objectionable things, but for the most part I think he is spot on about how people learn. We are unschooling Owen (not quite sure when you "start," but I guess we're already doing it) because we believe that coerced learning stifles the mind and the will. We're not opposed to classes. We've done a little music class and would certainly enroll Owen in things if he showed an interest in it, but we don't think classes or school are necessary or even helpful a lot of the time to learn.