Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Projects

We know threee very pregnant mamas, and we have a whole host of cousins who are having birthdays this week - in addition to Owen - so I have been busy making gifts.
A crocheted wool star blanket for Baby Tuggle:
Another star blanket for Baby Owens:
A cotton and silk night and day blanket for Baby Ring:
A collection of hand-dyed silk scarves:

Some as playsilks for Owen, one for Baby Ring's blanket, and some for a few superheros and superheroines who are turning a year older soon.
I dyed the wool with Wilton food dyes back in January. I was really pleased with the results of dying and with the star blankets using this pattern. I dyed the silk scarves (from Dharma Trading Company) using a similar method in large pots on the stove so that I could stir them every few minutes. I just loved the colors. For the night and day quilt, I backed a midnight purple scarf with blue cloud flannel and added a decorative border. For the capes, I just sewed a hem and threaded a ribbon through each one.
I hope these things bring the recipients as much pleasure to use them as they did for me to make them.

No comments: