Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day Recipe

Owen and I cleaned the bathroom this morning - exciting news, I know! You are most likely feeling a bit apprehensive since the title of the post promised a recipe and now I'm telling you about cleaning bathroom; it must be a gastronomic disaster, right?
No.
We try to use the least toxic cleaners we can, and whenever possible, I make my own. My favorite all purpose cleaner, the one Owen sprayed all over the bathroom for me :o), is from Carolyn, and in honor of Earth Day, I thought I'd pass it along. It is really quick to make and works really well. I haven't done any math, but it is quite inexpensive too! I actually double the recipe and keep it in a reused Febreeze bottle (which must be ancient since I haven't used Febreeze in probably 5 years).

Carolyn's All Purpose Cleaner
2T. vinegar
1t. borax
hot water (about 1 3/4c.)
1/4 c. liquid soap (Dr. Bronner's or the like)
essential oils (if desired or use scented Dr. B's soap - I agree with Carolyn and like peppermint for cleaning; she also recommends citrus or lavender)

Mix vinegar, borax, and hot water in a 16 oz spray bottle. Add soap and essential oils last. Use as a spray on cleaner.

Okay, I just noticed that the copy of the recipe I have has no units for the soap - just 1/4. I have been using 1/4 cup for a few years now. Is that right? Hmmm? Well, at any rate, it works quite well. I do usually use it on things that get a second water-only wipe or a rinse.

Happy Earth Day!

No comments: