Monday, April 27, 2009

Roasted Chicken


I love to get things ready ahead of time. I start Christmas crafting before it gets hot each year, and am a sucker for a good crock pot recipe. This one isn't for the slow cooker, but it can be prepared ahead of time, left in the oven while you are out, and be ready to eat when you get home.
I used a local chicken from the grassfed place at the Central Market, local new red potatoes, local onions, local Brussels sprouts, and local celery in this, and it turned out wonderful. I have also used beets, turnips, sweet potatoes, and eggplant (and probably other things I can't remember) with good success. I would encourage you to use whatever is fresh and local in your future roasts!

Roasted Chicken With Vegetables
whole chicken (about 5 lbs.)
1 lb. carrots
1 lb. potatoes
1 lb. Brussels sprouts
3 stalks celery
2 large onions
salt and pepper

Wash chicken (remove any "parts" from inside), and place in a roasting pan. Wash and chop veggies coarsely. Arrange them around the chicken. Salt and pepper chicken and vegetables. Cover and cook at 275 F for about 2 1/2 hours. (- or until you get back home. Really, anywhere from 2 to 4 hours has worked for me. At low heat, it is less risky to leave it for a long time.) Serve chicken and veggies dressed with pan juices and olive oil.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are making my belly talk..........

Anonymous said...

This is a classic New Zealand meal. We call it "the Sunday Roast." Sometimes we roast lamb, but usually it's chicken. We always get free range chickens now because of their superior flavour and much higher Omega-3 content. They also make MUCH better stock and bone broth. I like baking mine in my dutch oven or chicken brick and often put a peeled, cored apple in the cavity before roasting. It makes the meat extra juicy. I bet you're looking forward to Italian olive oil! Love, Carolyn.

Possum said...

Mmm, roast lamb. I would love some of that right now.
Pastured chickens are much tastier and do make better stock. Even better are the older chickens; (pastured) stewing chickens and old layers make the best stock.
Melinda

Kelly Elmore said...

I made stock for the first time with store bought organic chickens, and it sucked. It gelled part way, but not all the way like my usual stock. I was so so so disappointed. I'll be sticking with pastured chickens in future, for sure!